Friday, February 7, 2014

Honors Night at the French Film Festival

Friday, February 7th was Honors Night at ECU's Fourth Annual French Film Festival. The evening began with a performance on the Persian Tar by Neal Callen Clarke, accompanied by his daughter Faith. Dr. Sarah Peters then introduced the featured film selection--Chicken with Plums, based on the graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi (in the novel, the protagonist plays a Persian tar; in the film, he plays a violin). After the conclusion of the film, books, DVDs, Persian sweets, art, dining gift certificates, and a recipe for chicken with plums--with ingredients (sans chicken) were given to a dozen lucky film goers. Finally, the the International Student Connections Club welcomed film goers to an "International cafe," serving dishes native to Nepal, while the Clark family performed music on the Oud and drum.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite event this year was the “French Film Festival.” This was a month long event that occurred on every friday, and I thoroughly enjoyed every single event. While I did enjoy every movie, I feel that I took away more from one movie in particular, that being Amor. This movie was heart wrenching and at first I hated it. I thought that the people were stupid for picking the movie because it was so sad. My heart went out to the characters and their tale and I hated the fact that it made me cry. The fact that it elicited such a strong emotion from means that it was good, and looking back I do believe that it told the hardest truth, that love knows no bounds.
    Love is eternal and no matter what when you find that someone you love, no matter how much it hurts you, you will do anything for them, even if that means killing them. Amor showed how true love should be, eternal, unconditional, and even painful. From an outside perspective, one might think that the husband of the main character killed his handicapped wife because he was stressed and could no longer deal with her, but if you understand true love you know that he suffocated his wife not out of annoyance, or even pity, but because he loved her. He saw that she was miserable and no longer wanted to be in this life, she no longer wanted to be his burden and treated as a child, she no longer wanted to be trapped in her own skin. His killing her freed her from her suffering even if it cost him the love of his life. In fact, I would argue that his killing her hurt him more than dying himself.
    One day I hope to find someone who will love me enough to kill me if I wish. Overall, this movie showed me that not all questions have easy answers, and not all morals are drawn on a straight line. Sometimes what is wrong is right and what is right is wrong. You just have to trust your heart.

    Nikolette Patai

    ReplyDelete