Monday, November 19, 2012

Ask Jeremy Bentham

Jeremy Bentham's body, at University College London
Click on the "comment" link to offer advice to the questions posed below.

Use two or more of the following evaluative terms recommended by Bentham in your answers:
Intensity,
Duration,
Certainty,
Propinquity,
Fecundity,
Purity,
Extent.

Dear Jeremy:
Should I erase all memories of a certain unpleasant someone from my mind?
Joel in New York

Dear Jeremy:
Should I go along with my parents' ways of thinking to avoid confrontation with them?
Former Cave Dweller in Greece

Dear Jeremy:
Should I ask my brother to kill my lover? She's threatening to tell my wife about our affair; she's also threatening to tell people that I am guilty of embezzlement. If it helps--I am confident that my brother can "take care of this problem" without it getting traced back to me (or him). And I don't want a more serious relationship with my lover.
Successful Opthamologist in Manhattan


Dear Jeremy:
Should I push myself to become a better person, even if it makes me unhappy in the short term?
Honors student in Oklahoma

Dear Jeremy:
Should I go over to the dark side to save my wife and unborn child?
Anakin in Tatooine


Dear Jeremy:
Should I get an abortion?
Rape victim in a small town in the Midwest


Dear Jeremy:
Should I tell my boyfriend the truth the next time he asks me if I think he should try to lose some weight? The truth is: I think he should, but I know this may hurt his feelings. Should I lie and spare his feelings?
Slim and Trim in Ada

Dear Jeremy:
I am attracted to a guy who is really cute and nice. He is also crazy. Should I date him?
Hesitant Undergrad in U.S.

Dear Jeremy:
Should I put on a show of grief about the death of my mother so that other people will not look down on me?
Survivor in Algeria

Dear Jeremy:
Should I pretend to believe in God so that a priest might manage to help me get off death row?
Condemned in Algiers

Dear Jeremy:
Should I pretend to be a Nazi radio personality if my broadcasts will help U.S. spies get important messages out of Germany?  I'm afraid my broadcasts might encourage the Nazis . . .
Howard in 1939 Berlin Timewarp

1 comment:

  1. Dear Joel:
    Don't do it. Although the erasure would provide some temporary relief from the INTENSE pain caused by memories of that certain someone, the DURATION of that feeling of relief would be brief. In the long run, you will be better off working through your emotions. This will help you become a more mature, empathetic person. Although you may not realize it now, this pain is helping you grow, and you will be able to enjoy greater pleasures (more enduring ones) as you become more mature. Although the PROPINQUITY of those pleasures is less than desired, they are worth the wait. Instead of erasing your memories, get real therapy (by the way the CERTAINTY of memory-erasure technology leaves much to be desired).

    ReplyDelete