Saturday, December 12, 2015

Honors Grad!

Dr. Mark Walling (Honors Thesis Advisor), Matt Calvert (Honors graduate), Dr. Steve Benton (Honors Program Director)
Congratulations to Matt Calvert, who graduates with Departmental Honors today. Matt's degree is in Human Services Counseling for the Deaf. He delivered a touching student address at the Honors Graduation Ceremony this morning and then was presented with a Departmental Honors silver stole along with cords from the Alpha Chi Honors Society. Matt is also wearing his Rotaract stole. Dr. Mark Walling presented Matt with his undergraduate thesis hood in this morning's ceremony.
Matt Calvert (photo by Christine Pappas)
Matt taught us the ASL sign for "applause," and everyone in attendance is using that sign to help Matt thank his parents, who are deaf, for the help they have given him throughout his college career.

To read Matt's address, please click on the link below.

Fall 2015 Honors Graduation Address
by Matt Calvert

            Four and a half years ago I found myself lying on a gurney, being wheeled into an operating room. I was to receive a liver transplant which was the only option to treat a life-threatening condition. There was no guarantee that I would survive this operation. I was scared.
            Prior to the operation that put me in the hospital I had made some bad decisions. I dropped out of college the first time I went, which was 11 years ago. I floated from low paying job to low paying job, and was only focused on having a good time with my friends. I partied around and didn’t think much of college or what would get me on track to a fulfilling or meaningful life. After being diagnosed with a blood clot in my liver, I reevaluated who I was, and made choices that would change the direction of my life.
            And when my operation was successful, I made good on that decision to live a more purposeful life. One of the steps I took to do that was to continue my education by attending East Central University.
            Now, four years later, I’m here, with you all, lucky enough to share my story.  I have a 3.9 GPA and I’m graduating today with Departmental Honors, after having successfully defended my Honors Thesis last week. The decisions I made four years ago have paid off. And maybe more importantly than a diploma or employment opportunities, my understanding of the world has grown, my beliefs have been challenged, and my identity as an individual has greatly expanded.
            I have many people to thank for helping me along the way, people who have led me to want more out of life and to be a better person.
I want to thank my teachers; Dr. Janna Byrd, Lisa Sheffield, Dr. Marc Petrowsky, Dr. Steve Benton, and Dr. Mark Walling. I want to thank my classmates for offering me new ideas and challenges. But most of all I want to thank my family.
            I’m a child of Deaf adults. My parents are Deaf. They face challenges in this society that most individuals don’t. I want to tell you how thankful and blessed I am to have them, and how much I love them. My parents, Linda and Donald, and my brother Brian have been the foundation of my life. They took care of me as they raised me, and then they took care of me again when I was waiting for my liver transplant. Without them, I wouldn’t be here. Without them, I might not have survived. My family is here today, and I want to thank them in a special way for all they have done not only for me but for everyone they have impacted in their lives.
            In American Sign Language, this is the sign for “applause.” Mom, Dad and Brian, if you would please stand up, everyone please join me in applauding my family in their language. Thank you so much.            I imagine that some of you may know someone who you think has been making poor life decisions. Perhaps some of you feel that you’ve been making bad decisions. I’m telling you my story because I’m standing here as someone who did the same, and then made the choice to demand more of myself, and to do something with this life that I once took for granted. You can make that same choice. You can decide to do that right this moment. I told you about my family because I want to remind you that you have people who love you and care about you. This world is full of caring people. And when you make a decision to take on a new challenge, you may also find, as I have that there are people waiting to help you. And if you’re alone, it’s just a matter of meeting these people. But they’re out there, the sort of people who will do anything they can to help you. I hope that we will all choose to be those people for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment